Loading...

Agersani

The village is located in the South-western part of the island, in altitude of 40 m. and in distance 4-5km from the sea. The tradition says that: "The village took the name Agersani after a chapel that is located roughly 1 km outside the village in the Northwest side, Saint Arsenios. This chapel was the first that was found there, when the village built.

Remains of old settlements and various discoveries testify that the village perhaps firstly was coastal and afterwards, for the fear of pirates, was abandoned, in order to build it in the place that is situated today.

The village in our days has tree settlements: Apano Chorio , Kato Chorio and Pera Chorio.
Appreciable monuments of village are: The small tower of St. Nikolaos with characteristic dovecotes. Two old windmills are located in the hill of Stroumpoula. In Ellinikon point, a hill in the southern part of the village, exist ruins of ancient fortress and in Petradia, a settlement at Yria, exist marks of ancient temple and broken vessels.

Also, in the village is situated the church of Saint Spyridonos, a church that was recently renovated, thanks to the efforts of the parish priest Symeon and became a very nice church which is crowded by the faithful villagers every time there is a Mass, the church of Saint Nikolaos, a building of 18th  century, which was useful as observatory in the piratical ages, the Monastery of Timios Prodromos with the chapel of Saint Vasileios, which had never been lived by monks and a lot more chapels around the village.

The area around the village is one of the richest of island. The residents of village deal with agriculture and the livestock-farming even if the last years has been developed a lot the tourism in the beautiful beaches of village. Famous beaches around the village are the beach of Agios Prokopios, one from the most beautiful beaches in Greece, the beach of Agia Anna in the graphic bight of Agios Nikolaos, that continues even today being an anchorage not only for the local fish boats also for outlander fish boats and a lot trawls and trawl-liners anchoring very often and that is the reason of  why the air in the beach is smelling by the scent of a shore dinner, and finally the enormous beach of Plaka, of roughly 5 km length, with graphic dunes and particular flora from krinakia, voutima and armirikia. In the past time the residents of  the village dealt also with the salt marshes, which in 1947 were producing 1000 tons of salt. Today a big part from them has been drained in order to be manufactured the airport of the island which is functioning from the beginning of ' 90 decade.

Margaritis Nikos Schoolteacher of  Agersani

 

Sign up for our newsletters!

The weather now: