Loading...

Glinado

The settlement was founded about 1650. The first historical testimony we meet, for the existence of the village,  is from year  1672 and was found in a dotal document of "General Files of  Greek State". In this document the name of Manolis Kapounis is mentioned , who is one of the first residents of the village and whose name we meet for the first time in legal acts before 1672.
Toponym emanates from the phrase "in the place of Glinadon", that is to say in the area that belong to Manolis Glinos and to his relatives. Those first settlers (very probably by Mountainous Naxos) and the followed ones settled down in the two (opposite found) barren hills of village,  “Dekti”  and “Tzintili”, because of  the piracy and the possession of the fertile flat of Livadi by the "francs" feudal lords and the holders of ground Horaites aristocrats. With the pass of years were lived the between the hills space and the village took the current form. There settled down (historical proved) the residents of three neighbouring settlements that depopulated progressively: the Agamitadou, the Louloudou and the Tzitzamou.

Basic occupation of residents was the agriculture and the livestock-farming functioned as additional economic size, had limited base in the local economy, after it was practised symbiotic. Each family allocated small livestock, mainly ovine. However, the last years the cow stock farming (fattening of animals and production of milk) it erases ascendant course, and constitutes henceforth one from the basic pylons of economic life of village. The agriculture remained the main and the diachronic profession of residents.

The residents worked as kountouverniarides in the ground properties of feudal lords in Livadi until the first decades of the 20th century. The sordid conditions of life for a long period are showed (indicatively) through the events of 1777 that the farmers rose against the "Francs". Protagonists were (according to the then catholic archbishop) some "barbarian and vile ploughmen villagers from Galanado, Glinado and Tzitzamo". When the king Othon visited Naxos the decade 1850, people from Glinado delivered him a letter, in which reported in a tragic way the conditions of their life, which were a little different from those that led in ineffective insurrection of 1777... In 1834, afterwards the national re-establishment, the village depends in the Municipality of Biblos and 1919(.5 March, OFFICIAL JOURNAL OF THE HELLENIC REPUBLIC 52A) becomes autonomous community, after fulfil the conditions of law: has more than 300 residents and allocates autonomous "school of elementary education".

The village is located in altitude of 80 to 113 metres. With panoramic view to all the sides of horizon and with "person" to the west (Eastern Paros) fairly it has been characterized as the "balcony of Naxos". The three (up to moment) hotels that have privately built in conspicuous localities, the two restaurants-tavern that already have been built in spaces from equal astonishing view, the tens luxurious residences of Naxians, Greek, Europeans that has been built the last years constitute sure clues for what "is going to happen", with additional datum that the village is a transport nodal point, because links Chora with the two Ljvadohoria (Agersani and Tripodes) but also with all the south-western part of Naxos (Vigla, Kastraki, Aliko, Pirgaki, Agiasso), which is developed tourist.

Today the village numbers 509 permanent residents. According to the items of period 1951-2001 is observed a declining course in the population, which is not owed in the immigrate exit, neither in (being absent) mobility of men's of population, but in the reduction of weddings and birth rate and in the natural ageing of population.
The fertile ground and the new economic fact that were in effect afterwards 1953 were main inhibitory reasons for preventing immigration, as then is founded the government owned Centre Seed Production of Potatoes of Naxos, with basic suppliers the residents of villages at Livadi. The economic-historic fact we consider (as we have proved with scientific work) that it contributed in the creation of that conditions that changed soundly the economic and social life of people of Glinado,  the up to then social use of their natural space and, naturally, the relations of particular rural community with her natural environment.
Up to then (1953) the agricultural production of the village was characterized by the mixed farming that is connected with the scattered character of landed property. The establishment of the Centre Seed Production of Potatoes of Naxos involved big inversions in the productive system. The establishment meant that the fertile Livadi was selected officially by the Greek State in order to produce government owned potato seed, in order be channelled in markets of Interior. The production entered for first time in orbit of commercialisation. It was a leading developmental proposal, which the local society accepted with enthusiasm. From then and after the systematic monoculture of potato seed raised almost all the traditional cultivated types, the potato became the auriferous source for the residents, "tied up" them with their ground, infuse them with social self-confidence, determined their attitude opposite education and the other free professions, even their nickname Patatades(potato men). It appears that the future of management of this product (no and so much auspicious the last years) is connected with the future of the village.

The visitor will mainly meet the "traditional" hospitality of residents, exempted from each affectation. Winter-summertime, passing or residing in this for his vacations, he can enjoy a calm walk in the "internal" street of village.
That will lead him from an end to the other, from the Brostini Virgin Mary and the Reservoir or from the mill of Karegla to the Tzintili, to the Tower, to the impressive church of Saint Nicodimos, or to the chapel of Tzannakos, from where, instict with the beauty that he sees, he feels nearest to God and to the secrets of Creation. The sunsets from the mentioned before points of Tzannakou and mill of Karegla, or even from this (destroyed unfortunately) mill of Mayrommati have nothing to envy not even a little from the proportionally appeared in the Hellenic space. Another marvellous track will lead (through the abandoned for many years settlements of Loyloudou and Tzitzamou) to the parish church of village, to the "Christ" (Metamorphosis of Savior), 1680 (northern aisle) and 1740 (southerner aisle).
The visitor can also feel vivifying the morning or evening cool breeze of Livadi, on his way from the village to the Cheese Dairy (Union G. P. Naxos), where he can follow a tour to installations, or to the marvellous archaeological place of Yria but also in the devastated monastery of Ag. Saranta.
If someone presents  in the island on 13 and 14 July it will have a nice time the "islander" festival of Saint Nicodimos in two-three locations at the village, while on  5 and on 6 August at the celebration of "Christ", another festival is organised and  hundreds "pilgrims" follow the good islander amusement.


Manolis G. Sergis Dimokriteio University Thrace


Sign up for our newsletters!

The weather now: