Loading...

Kynidaros

In altitude of almost 400metres, Kynidaros is situated between vines, olives, oaks, platans and prinies. Tradition report that the village was firstly built in another localion, in the graphic valley of Halandros, the Kiouria point. According to tradition, the area of Halandron had rich and dense vegetation with a lot of waters and wild animals. From there was started the ancient aqueduct that manufactured by Ligdamis the 6th B.C. century and supplied Chora with water, which remain the same even today (the source of Skoulikaria supplies Chora and the villages of flat Naxos with potable water).

Today in the area of Halantron there is the almost abandonded church of Saint Dimitrios, next to the grandiose royal church of Saint Artemios and little below the devastated settlement of "Kioura".
According to tradition, but also with archaeological testimonies:
At the Byzantine ages of Venetian domination and Ottoman domination, the village was situated in this locality and constituted fief of Francs feudal lords of season. Ruins prove that it was destroyed totally in a wild raid of pirates at the 15th century roughly.

The few residents that were saved from the settlement of "Kioura", left for the interior of island and built their new village, the Kynidaros, in the exact point that is situated today, for better safety. It is saved a document that is reported the Toponym "Kynidaros" with chronology of 9 March 1539.

From administrative opinion, the Kynidaros remained community from 1912 until 1998, when it mutated also into municipal apartment of Municipality Naxos according the "Kapodistrias" plan of the Government.

Mainer occupations of 400 roughly residents of Kynidaros were, from even past times , agriculture and livestock-farming and circumstantially the building work. The last decades, the excavation of marble from the around mountains, which are rich in layers of marble, has kept the population of village in hearths constituting and is the most important financial source for the village.

The residents of Kynidaros are distinguished for their effortless disposal in the music and the dance. The benders constitute characteristic aspect of kynidarean life. The rich music and dance tradition of the village is maintained almost unchanged  in the passage of time. Tradition reports that afterwards the destruction of Naxos from the Eneteans, families was transported in the island from various places, and in the Kynidaro settled down themselves families with instrumentalists, singers and dancers. This is the reason for the innate love and faculty in the song, the music and the dance.

Costas Clouvatos

   
   

Sign up for our newsletters!

The weather now: